If the casting professional asks for a video audition, they will include instructions as part of the application process. Read them carefully before making your video!
Is a video audition the same as a showreel?
Nope. It’s great to have a general showreel on your profile that represents your talent, but a video audition is part of your application for a specific role. It should be as current and relevant as possible — you want to show them you’re a perfect fit! Plus, the casting professional will include instructions for your video audition, which won’t apply to your showreel.
Do I have to include a video audition?
The casting professional may request one, but it’s not compulsory. If you don’t include one, the most recently-loaded video on your profile will be included instead.
Will my video audition appear on my StarNow profile?
No, because sometimes the script supplied will be confidential. You can play your video audition in My Applications, but it won’t display on your profile page.
How do I make a video audition?
- You’ll obviously need a camera – it might just be the one on your smartphone, or your computer’s webcam, or a super-fancy one. It‘s up to you.
- Make sure your video is one of these formats: MOV, 3GP, AAC, AVI, FLV, MP4, MPEG-2, H.264, WebM, AVI.
- The maximum file size should be 750MB.
- It should generally be no longer than two minutes. Casting professionals are busy people.
- The casting professional may include instructions as part of the application process. Make sure you read through all their instructions (twice) before you start filming, then read them again before you upload!
- Your video should be well lit, with an uncluttered background and clear audio. Play your video back several times to make sure you’re happy before you upload it.
Where and how do I upload my video?
When you apply to a listing and a video audition is requested, there will be step-by-step instructions as part of the application.
My video won’t upload. What can I do?
- Your video needs to be one of these formats: MOV, 3GP, AAC, AVI, FLV, MP4, MPEG-2, H.264, WebM, AVI.
- Don’t close the upload page while your video is still uploading.
- Double check that your video file is playable and not corrupted. If you’re getting an error message, try uploading it again.
- If you’re on a mobile device, try emailing the video to yourself and uploading it from a desktop computer.
- Keep your video short. It should also be a maximum size of 750MB.
If you’ve tried all of the above and it’s still not working, get in touch and we’ll help you upload it.
How much does it cost to include a video audition?
For a limited time, there’s no charge. Make the most of this free feature and try it out!