Bullshift is a learning and development company based in Perth, with clients around the country and overseas.
Our company purpose is “to learn and teach conscious communication through humour.”
We help people to get more openness, honesty and straight talk at work with 12 Bullshift Principles and 15 Habits.
We have mostly done this through conference keynotes and workshops but last year COVID drove us to develop online learning as well. We didn't want it to look or feel like "corporate training" so we created "Bullshift TV".
Each BTV Episode is a mix of:
- Videos that explain the Bullshift Principles
- Comic sketches, and
- Short assessments.
When we started making the series last year, we drew on our team and their network of improv actors and comedians.
We’d now like to expand the range of actors we use beyond the people we already know. We'd like to do this partly for the fun of it, partly because our viewers like to see variety on the screen and partly to ensure the diversity of actors reflects the diversity of our audience.
We've also been gradually lifting our production standards. A year ago, we were shooting everything on iPhone and the cast were also the crew. These days, we're using nice cameras and a small but professional crew. We are still on a limited budget because we're a small business but we're steadily improving the quality of the product and incrementally increasing our investment over time.
Some other things you might like to know about the work:
• The fees start at $60 per hour plus GST. In addition to shooting time, we pay for prep time (like learning lines), rehearsals and any relevant meetings.
• We aim to shoot about once a month. We generally book a couple of days of shooting and spend the prior weeks preparing. We might capture 6-10 sketches over a few days and then not shoot for another month or so.
• Shoots are usually on week days from 8:30am - 4:30pm and in the greater Perth area.
• Some of it is shot on green screen, some on location.
• On set, we usually have 2-5 cast and another 2-5 crew. Don't expect a big set with someone assigned to care for your armadillo while you're shooting.
• The videos are currently only shown to people on Bullshift programs through our online learning platform (Velpic/Damstra).
• We have a lot of fun making them. (The popular out-takes at the end of our Episodes have led program participants to ask if they can be in a video).
• Later this year, we'd like to start making an audio version so we'll need voice actors as well.
And what we’re looking for in the Actors includes:
• The ability to play different kinds of characters and be funny when that’s your role.
• We are looking for some people to be in 10 or more sketches and others who might just be in one or two. Some people will be engaged to help us conceive and write the sketches and others will just be invited to perform a script that's already done.
• A passion for collaboration and the skills to go with it - giving and receiving feedback, contributing ideas, releasing attachments and always putting the end learner first.
• Low ego - we like a low-stress set. Everyone on our set is both talented/capable AND easy to deal with.
• Availability during week days, usually at 4-8 weeks notice.
Most calls will involve a meeting/rehearsal of a couple of hours and then a full day of shooting - so assume a minimum 10 hours per call.
You don’t need tonnes of acting experience if you can tick all of the above.
If you've read this far and you're still interested, check out the short reel of samples from some of our videos to get a feel for it. We just mashed a few seconds of a few videos to give you a sense of them.
We encourage you to send us a message to say g'day or to ask any questions you might have. We're open. And honest.
$60 per hour - Once our actors accept the gig, the work all happens within a few weeks and you can invoice the minute you're done. We pay ALL invoices within a week.
Anyone, aged 18 to 80
Applications closed 26 September 2021.